The industrial assets like resources, materials, and essential information are also prone to loss, theft or damage and require a well-monitored security for protection. Industrial security systems are installed to protect the valuable assets of the industry from illegal access, sabotage, or harmful manipulation. Security incidents like an environmental disaster, loss of data due to system performance impairment, loss of production control or system availability etc. can spoil the image of the industry and can result in a serious financial loss. With the digitalisation, industrial plants are automated through various Ethernet connections, which are more vulnerable to attack from both the inside and the outside. Thus, the security of these automated industrial plants is becoming very crucial for the business owners.There are different layers of protection required for industrial security. Plant security is focused on the prevention of unauthorised access to important parts of the plant. The security system creates a physical barrier to block access to the automated plant parts. Network security controls the interaction between the office and plant via secure network connections such as a firewall. System security includes software for whitelisting and antivirus, update and maintenance of processes, user authentication and integrated access to automation components. Commercial security systems Melbourne demands a well-monitored coordination between the plant system integrators, operators, and component manufacturers.
All levels of the industrial plant including the management, field, access control and even copy protection must be comprehensively protected to ensure complete security from internal and external attacks. Every industry has different requirements of the security system depending on its location, size, and type of business but there are some basic features present in every security system. These are:
- Security alarm: Either the audible or silent alarm installed near the windows and doors alerts the intruder that its presence is known
- Door chime: calls attention to all the entrances and exits so that the intruder may not enter and exit silently after stealing
- Security lights: motion sensitive lights can help check the criminal activity as they allow better visibility to the bystanders and also alert the intruders to have a second thought about their activity
- Security Cameras: In addition to deterring criminal activity these cameras also increase the productivity and credibility of employees as their activities are being recorded all the time
- Extra security sensors: These include glass break detectors, smoke detectors, motion detectors and carbon monoxide detectors and provide protection against fire and vandalism
- Monitoring system: External and central monitoring systems provide an additional layer of security to the industry and increases the performance of the industrial security system. The industry, as well as the security company, can have a direct control of the security system installed in that industry
- Remote access: Security features accessible via a smartphone or any other remote device allow the owner of the industry to keep an eye on the business while being away from it. It also helps to make essential safety and security changes in the security system while being away from the industry.
Additional security features can provide more benefits to the industry. A well-coordinated access control, intrusion and fire protection and video surveillance system can provide a complete security solution to an industry. Thus installing a security system is a sound investment for business owners not only for their peace of mind but also for the financial benefits it offers to the industry. It might be an additional cost for the industry to install a well-monitored security system but it can reduce the cost of theft and damage repair if the security system is not installed.